This post contains affiliate links.
Digital signage is a type of electrical signage that tends to be used for advertising. It has become an essential type of content distribution and it is in a state of constant progress as demand increases and technology evolves.
In 2021, trends for digital signage will focus on touch-free interfaces that encourage interactivity. This will involve redesigning current platforms to include technology like touch-free sensors. Other trends will focus on increased personalization and multi-functionality catered to the customer.
Digital signage is continually keeping ahead of the market. Read on to discover the trends that will be at the forefront in 2021.
What Will the Top Digital Signage Trends Be in 2021?
Digital signage will continue focusing on developing technology that is relevant for the future. These are some of the trends that will rule the field:
- Variety: Different resolutions, image adjustments, and screen types and sizes will be introduced.
- Technology of the future: Digital signage will continue its path toward a fully touch-free interface. To do so, it will make increased use of touch-free sensors.
- Enhanced interactivity: Digital signage is aimed at potential customers, particularly in a retail environment, and will continue to add new features to simplify interactivity while offering more options.
- Creating a bridge between online and in-store experiences: In these times, online shopping has gained a lot of popularity, especially for how it makes the experience more streamlined. Digital signage will strive to offer the ease of that experience in-store.
- Offering multi-platform options: Practicality and multi-functionality will be two of the trends in 2021. Integration and inter-play with other media channels will enhance the role of digital signage.
Increasing the Variety Offered
Looking ahead at 2021, digital signage is seeking to extend variety in its options as a platform. This trend has been in the works for a while, as it's looking to make great strides in the market.
There are several key focus areas when it comes to the increased variety that will be seen particularly in digital signage screens in 2021:
Quality of Image
There will be more digital signage screen sizes on the market in 2021, which will see a marked effect on the resolution and adjustment options that can be achieved, from brightness to contrast. Due to digital signage's highly visual nature, brightness levels must adjust to the lighting conditions where the screen will be placed.
The image must remain crisp and clear in low-light and full-light. To achieve this, digital signage screens will continue to include the constantly improving Ultra High Bright Displays as part of their hardware.
Technology and Adaptability
Screens are in continuous progress, and digital signage will offer technology that matches them. The type of screen will significantly impact digital signage's visual effect and must be taken into account. Digital signage will provide high-quality options for many types of screens such as OLED, QLED, and LCD. It will also cater to translucent and curved displays.
Broadening the Potential of Interactivity
Digital signage is primarily aimed at customers and their experience. Focusing on an increased level of interactivity in its product will be one of the main trends in 2021. This will be achieved, particularly in retail environments, and through features that enhance the customer's experience.
To achieve this, digital signage will make use of several features, such as facial recognition, connectivity with apps, augmented reality technology, and flexibility. Through these features, digital signage can provide a tailor-made experience that can make the customer feel wholly taken into account.
Facial recognition, in particular, can provide a fully personalized interaction, as can linking the interface with store apps, for example, to best assist the customer with their needs.
This will also be implemented in one of the most impactful sectors for digital signage outside of retail: education. Digital signage appears in schools for one of its most popular features: Wayfinding. This feature caters to students and provides them with a personalized experience by guiding them through their school experience via directions or information, as well as dedicated content suited to their interests.
School events can be featured through digital signage, as can highlights of school life, important announcements, and enhancing security measures.
Providing the Technology of the Future Now
The future involves touch-free technology, and digital signage will make that one of its top trends in 2021. The ongoing situation in the world has only shown the benefits of this transition by creating a safer yet still interactive way to approach digital signage screens.
Various technologies and features will assist this ongoing move to the fully touchless:
- QR sensors: The most straightforward form of interacting with digital signage screens on a touch-free basis is to provide QR readers that send information directly to the user's mobile device. In this way, the user will be able to use the digital signage screen with input appearing on their own device.
- Voice integration: Enhancing the role of voice integration in digital signage hardware encourages a touch-free interaction that still considers the user's needs. The customer can communicate with the platform without extra effort, and the platform can adapt to them.
- Touch-free sensors: Digital signage interfaces are being redesigned so that they can offer further touchless interactions through the use of sensors. These sensors allow for the recognition of hand movements and gestures as input responses.
Bringing the Convenience of Online Shopping In-Store
Online shopping has become one of the most popular ways to purchase items through its convenience and the streamlined experience it offers. Digital signage will seek to provide that same convenience in-store in 2021, and it will focus on some main features to achieve this goal. Digital catalogs, in particular, will become more common to facilitate the shopping experience by providing a clean and quick way to find items.
This will reduce the need to handle items that have been touched by many others in the store while also ensuring that the customer can have access to the entirety of the available stock at their disposal without the need to spend time searching particular items. The customer can then arrange for collection or home delivery from the same stand.
Diversifying Channel Integration
Digital signage shines best in its collaboration with other platforms. This will see an increase in collective communication across various channels in 2021, with the focus being on a harmonious integration across them.
This integration will reduce the need for the number of channels involved between the digital signage and the companies it represents. Digital signage will create cross-platform networks that will provide streamlined experiences between all users, from companies to the intended customers. This collaboration will give a more cohesive image of the brand while facilitating the process for users across the board.
The integration of digital signage with company systems will provide a seamless and valuable resource. This will see an increase in the need for completely secure systems and privacy protection guidelines, but it will provide plenty of benefits to the general process.
The top digital signage trends in 2021 will continue to expand on the platform's benefits while enhancing the attributes of its experience. This will be seen in an increased variety of products, as well as more in-depth interactivity and personalization.
Technology will be leading the way, particularly with the inclusion of touch-free sensors. Convenient and sterile solutions will be at the forefront too, with digital signage responding to the market and adapting to both the environment and the customer's needs.