This post contains affiliate links.
Digital signage is a growing display medium that has the power to drive business growth and build relationships between brands and consumers. Digital signage is much more than images and text on a monitor. With a clear and straightforward strategy, designing your digital signage will reflect your brand and its mission to create engaging content for desired audiences.
A simple strategy for digital signage design is driven by:
- Identifying goals for the business
- Branded content
- Targeting the ideal customer
Signage reflects marketing goals and chosen messaging, which then dictates the specific design and layout of the signage.
While technical design tips and details should be considered when designing digital signage, the messaging and content should be the primary focus throughout the design process. Keep reading to see how you can use this simple strategy to realize your business goals.
Business Goals and Content Drive Digital Signage Design
Digital signage is a creative medium that can be used in a variety of ways. Whether you are using screens in a store to allow for product search or displaying your advertised content as shoppers pass digital ad boards, the content displayed should be the top priority.
Set Goals for Digital Signage Design
The goals of the business drive content. Because digital signage can be utilized in many applications, determining what your goals are in using the tool will dictate how you design the displays and the types of monitors you use. Goals will vary depending on the business, but there are some common reasons to use digital signage.
These are some of the digital signage goals that may influence your design strategy:
- Drive revenue: As a primary goal for the entire business, this is one of the most common reasons that digital signage is used. They are typically used to bring awareness to your company and provide information to guide consumers to consider your product or service.
- Boost customer engagement: Using interactive monitors can allow customers to engage directly with the branded content. This may include searching for various products in a store, ordering items directly from a monitor, offering games or informational text, or interacting with company social media platforms.
- Advertise brand or product: Digital signage is featured in nearly all locations people pass (in lobbies, sides of buildings, on buses, etc.). Strategically placing these ads in spaces where your target audience will look is ideal. This can also help to build a customer base or maintain the ones you already have.
- Sell ad space: You may also have access to monitors where you can display other's digital content for a fee. If you have partnerships with other brands, you can also show their content as a revenue stream.
- In-store messaging: Stores may also use digital signage to accomplish informational or ad goals when consumers enter a store. This can be used for store aesthetics that change regularly depending on desired product highlights or store design.
These goals should drive your content and signage to convey your message to the desired audience effectively. With digital signage being so versatile, it can serve multiple purposes for your business and is dynamic enough to tackle multiple goals.
Create Strong Content for Digital Signage
After your goals have been established, the content is the essential aspect of creating compelling digital signage. This content should be in line with the business's goals and be specific to the target audience. This means that you may have to use multiple signage strategies to cater to your particular consumer groups.
Based on your goals and audience, think about the type of messaging or information you wish to convey. You can display most of these ideas in creative ways that are engaging and attract more viewers. Not all content applications will make sense for every business, but there are some great examples of effective content across the (digital) board.
Consider some of these digital signage content ideas for your business:
- Video and images: These are the most engaging media you can use to show off your business and important information. Videos, in particular, are engaging and catch people's attention. Be sure to include any necessary text, as most digital displays do not have sound.
- Social media: You can share the content from your social media platforms on these displays. Not only have you already done the work to create content elsewhere, but you can also drive viewers to follow your pages and develop stronger relationships with the brand.
- Data: Showing data with graphs and other easily digestible content is an easy way to convey information. This can be used both in an office or as a marketing tool to show the effectiveness of a product or service. Digital signage can be easily updated to reflect changes in numbers or show off new data over time.
- User Content: Share customer reviews, quotes, social media posts, and any other user-generated content to promote your brand. This is an easy way to gather usable content and data. Potential consumers will often rely on reviews and the opinions of others to make purchases.
- Call to action: All digital signage should include some information or wording that encourages readers to take action. This is how you can move viewers further along the customer funnel towards purchasing or hitting your business goal.
Digital signage is used across many industries and can be used to share practical information as well. Restaurants may feature their menus, airlines can share flight times, commercial buildings can post directories, or businesses can use them to generate advertising revenue. There is a wide range of possibilities with digital signage, making monitors a good investment.
Digital Signage Technical Design Strategy
After you have decided on your content and goals, the technical design aspects are crucial in effectively conveying your messaging. Again, we'll refer to “simplicity” as your displays should be informational, digestible, and easy to read. The layout design should be specific to best display your content and follow simple design guidelines.
Incorporate these simple design elements for effective digital signage displays:
- Simple wording: This applies to both the syntax of the information as well as the visual display. You want to keep phrasing short so that it can be easily read. It is also a good idea to make sure fonts are large enough to see from a distance easily.
- Viewing Height: You want to place signage at a height that is easy to read and visible at eye level. This will either catch someone's attention or allow them to view the information subconsciously.
- High-resolution content: Make sure photos, videos, and text are of high quality and resolution. This will not only ensure that the visuals can be seen clearly but will make your brand appear more professional.
- Colors: Use contrasting colors to make information pop. Bright colors will draw attention but make sure that text is legible and that appropriate color palettes are used.
The designs you choose will also be impacted by location. While you want to place your content in trafficked areas, you will want to make sure that it is legible based on size and how viewers will interact with it.
Why is Digital Signage Effective?
Investing in digital signage has revolutionized how information and content are displayed. Not only is it more cost-effective than traditional print media, but you can easily update your content in real-time and offer an interactive display for customers. With the right content and strategy based on business goals, you can create eye-catching and effective displays.